Winter Pest Proofing
Shorter days and cooler nights remind us that winter is soon approaching and that we must take precautions to the pests that will be seeking refuge. As the weather gets cooler, common pests like mice, rats, cockroaches, spiders will look for shelter in warm structures to wait out old man winter- that is why it’s a great idea to include pest proofing into your fall home maintenance:
- Check screens on attic vents, chimney openings, and doors to make sure there aren’t any snags or tears
- Eliminate moisture sites: leaking pipes, clogged drains, broken irrigation systems and more.
- Seal any cracks or crevices outside of the home with caulk
- Replace loose mortar and weatherstripping around the basement foundation and windows
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and keep landscaping near the home well-trimmed
- Inspect items for signs of pest activity- boxes of holiday decorations, seasonal clothing, and grocery bags before bringing them indoors
- Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly in sealed receptacles
If you notice any pest activity in your home, call Chilton’s right away. A small pest problem can turn into a huge nuisance quickly!