Hello Fall! Hello Pests……
Cooler temperatures, changing leaves, Fall is a favorite for many, but for many pests the change in season indicates the need to find refuge from the winter weather ahead. Rodents, spiders, cockroaches and more will be migrating indoors to the warm temperatures and food that you provide. You must remember the importance that fall pest-proofing can play in keeping pests from making their home in yours.
Mice and Rats carry diseases, including Salmonella and Hantavirus. They also cause structural damage to a property by gnawing through wires and nesting in insulation- They can even cause house fires! Cockroaches also spread disease and their droppings and saliva can trigger asthma attacks, especially in young children. We don’t need to tell you about certain spider bites.. Brown Recluses and Black Widows are common in our area.
Recommendations for fall pest-proofing tips:
- Install door sweeps on exterior doors and repair damaged screens.
- Seal cracks and crevices on the outside of the home, including areas where utilities and pipes enter.
- Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly in sealed receptacles.
- Replace loose mortar and weather stripping around the basement foundation and windows.
- Eliminate all moisture sites, including leaking pipes and clogged drains.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and keep shrubbery well-trimmed.
- If you suspect a pest infestation in your home, call Chilton’s for a FREE pest inspection!